Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A week in the life

I know, a entire month of a postless blog, and here I am posting multiple times in one week. Don't get too comfy, I am sure there will be another gap coming, it is the holidays in a few short weeks and life gets especially crazy for us then - kids of divorce? Makes holidays oh so fun. But I will try. Maybe I will even tell some stories of my younger years, really funny ones that I don't want to forget.

So what was I trying to write about?

Oh, right, a week in our exceptionally exciting lives. Or we can call it our daily/weekly schedule for the ease of any cyber/real life stalkers to find me.

The purpose of me writing this boring post is  for my Making Time for Yourself post for E's Working Mom series, I wanted to elaborate more on our schedule and how we fit in gym time with our already busy lives but I was very self conscience of my longwindedness and tried to keep it to the point. (On my own blog? Not so much as we have all been tortured with from time to time)

Meghan! STOP! get on with your point! You have already wasted 2+ paragraphs of nonsense.

Ok. Here it is:

Monday & Wednesday:
--I am up at 5am, dressed, dogs fed, lunch packed, crock pot dinner started (if you missed it otherwise, we recently implemented Crock Pot Mondays and Wednesday which is a HUGE help in freeing up time in our afternoons and evenings and guarantees Ryan will not be eating cereal 4 days out of 7).

--I am out of the door by 5:30am and arrive at work between 6 and 6:30am, depending on the amount of morons I encounter on my 25 mile commute. (Which is ending this week since my office is moving...and my commute will be half of what it is now. I am beyond excited about this)

--Ryan is up around 7, Avery is up around 7:30, and my sister gets there at 8. Ryan leaves for work.

--I get home around 3pm, Avery is usually getting up from her nap and Amanda leaves.
The first thing I do when I get home is change into my exercise clothes and make our bed. Sometimes if Avery sleeps later, I attempt to get laundry started/folder/put away.

--Avery and I play/run errands/do stuff around the house (with a 2 year old in tow, that is laughable).

--Around 5:15, I start getting her dinner ready, feed the pugs, straighten up a little.

--Ryan is home by 5:30, his dinner is ready in the crock put, he and Avery sit down to eat together.

--I rush out the door by 5:45 to get to spin class at the Y, which is 5 minutes away.

--Spin is over at 7, I am home by 7:10.

--I eat dinner while Ryan and Avery play in the living room, and we all usually head upstairs around 7:30 so Avery can take a bath/get ready for bed and Ryan gets ready for the gym.

--8 o'clock, Avery is in bed, Ryan is at the gym, I get to shower and get the house straightened up and everything ready for the next crazy day.

--I try to be in bed by 10.

--I am up at 5:30am today.

--I start my laptop up and sign on by 6am.

--I get 2 hours of work in and log off at 8am.

--Avery is up at 7:30 and Ryan gets her breakfast and rushes out the door.

--At 8, Avery and I both go upstairs to get ready, I make our beds and we both get dressed.

--We are downstairs and out the door by 8:55, her school is half a mile from our house, we usually walk.

--I drop her at school and get to work by 9:15/9:20 and work straight through until 2:45.

--Amanda picks Avery up from school at 11 and they go home, eat lunch, play, and nap time is at 1.

--I am home at 3, Avery is getting up from her nap, usually, and Amanda is off to her other job.

--Recently we have been going to my standing appointment at the chiropractor every Tuesday at 4:30, but that may change come 2014 since my insurance provider is changing and I do not know how much of those visits they will cover.

--After a quick adjustment of snap, crackle, and popping, Avery and I head over to the Y so I can get my weekly run in while she hangs out in the babysitting room for about 40 minutes.

--We usually get home right as Ryan does, at 5:30.

--I throw something easy together for dinner and we have a little more time to hang out together, go for a walk, or play outside if the weather is nice.

--Our bedtime routine tends to stay the same: head upstairs around 7:30, bath Avery, get her ready for bed,

--Ryan gets ready for the gym, puts her to bed, leaves, I take a shower and so on.

--Typically the same as Mondays and Wednesday but I take Body Pump at 6pm. We usually wing it that night for dinner having a sandwich, salad or cereal.

--Also similar to our Tuesday schedule since Avery has preschool Tuesdays and Fridays. The only exception is no chiropractor appointment or the gym after work since babysitting is over at 2pm. (Super Lame, YMCA)

--Sometimes I make it to the 5:30am spin class, usually if I missed one of my workouts that week. And sometimes I can get to the 5pm spin class if my mom is around and can come watch Avery until Ryan gets home at 5:30.

--I don't know about your house, but Fridays are usually a lot more relaxed in our schedule and meals. This is the night we usually order in. I love order in nights.

--We are usually up by 7 and I am dressed and on my way to 7:45am spin class for the next hour.

--Ryan brings Avery up to the Y at 8:45am and he heads into work for a couple hours and Avery and I head to swim class for her.

--After swim, we usually play the rest of the day by ear unless we have plans or a party. I have been known to completely cancel out my morning of spinning and swimming with a tall Salted Caramel Mocha at our local Starbucks - or even better a stroll around Target with drink in hand.

--We make our very best effort to get up and to church by 9:45. We used to go to the earliest service at 8am, but since Avery is 2 now, she is no longer in the nursery and can attend Sunday school which starts at 9:45/10am.
--After church we try to do some kind of activity like a bike ride, a playground, or a walk as a family. As the weather gets colder, I am foreseeing more afternoons inside, getting things done that I have let go since the spring, while Ryan starts a fire and watches football and Avery watches those weird egg videos on YouTube.

There you go. If you had some delusional fantasy that I lived a gloriously exciting life, I am truly sorry to have burst that bubble. This schedule works great for us and Ryan and I have both learned that flexibility is key to being happy and content. You can see that we don't leave ourselves much room for down time, like watching TV or reading a book/magazine. We have a DVR and we squeeze our favorites in when we can. I really don't feel like I am missing out on much though since we have cut way back on our TV time. I do miss reading and I try to find time now and then to devour a good book. It is OK, I have read PLENTY of books in my almost 3 decades of reading and I am sure I will have time after my family grows to pick up a few now and then.

And if you have made it this far in the post, CONGRATULATIONS! and WAKE UP!

The Most Boring Blog Post is now over!



kerwin said...

I, for one, am impressed with all the bed making. That never happens over here. Granted, Annie refuses to sleep with covers (weird, I know), so there's not much to make there. Rick has approximately 4 blankets on his side of the bed because my pregnant hormonal self requires the temp to be so low he almost freezes every night. He will live. I am already looking into the schedule at the Y for after baby gets here. We need to get something figured out! And clearly I need to turn Annie on to these egg videos!

Sarah said...

I am so very impressed with you! You work so hard to keep your priorities in tact with family, faith, and health.

I had to laugh, though, that you make your bed when you get home AT THREE in the afternoon. I would say, "is that even worth it?" except that I KNOW THAT IT IS.

We are so alike. :)

emi said...

fun to see your amazing blog! it's good to take a break sometimes, but glad you're back! :)


the well-traveled wife