Wednesday, December 14, 2011

How do you do it?

I hear this question a lot when I tell people I work full time, take college courses (to complete my BA in Communications) and have a baby. Oh, and a husband, house, and 3 pugs.

The first thing that I always think is how did my mom do it? She had 4 kids, no husband, a home triple the size of mine, 2 dogs, and she got her BS in Nursing at the age of 40.

She did it because she had no other option. Yes, my father provided the minimum support the county required and my grandparents were very generous but the daily grind was all on my mom. As the oldest, I took responsibilities for my younger siblings and I hope was a help to her. She knew she had to help herself, no one else was going to do it for her.

So, with her struggles, determination and motivation always in the back of my mind, I get this school thing done. I am blessed to have a husband that does more then I could ever ask for and (rarely) does not complain. I have one child, although a baby, a very good baby (says anyone who meets her) at that. I always say to myself, "If she can do it, I have NOT ONE excuse!"

Those were the words swirling in my head as I signed up for 4 classes this coming Spring semester. I have been taking 2 classes a semester but because these are my final 4 classes that I need to graduate and they are only offered in the Spring, I have to take them all now or wait an entire year to finish. At this point, i just want it over with and am willing to work my ass off the next 4+ months to do so.

I may look back on this post from time to time and remind myself on those days when I had a rough day at work, get home to a cranky baby, and then have to sit in class for 2.5 hours listening to a boring professor, that the light at the end of this tunnel is shining bright - I am almost there!

xoxo

No comments: