Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fight Club/Potty Training






via

pretty much the same thing in my book.

Just in case you are not familiar with the rules of Fight Club:

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB. 
2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB. 

I took this approach to our latest potty training adventure. (We attempted it once before back in May and it ended with double tub shits, both on the husband's bath nights, so we called it off before I was cleaning up tub poo and puke) I decided to break the rule as I believe we are past the worst of it (please don't jinx me)

Sure, I am guilty of shamelessly posting a picture of Avery on the potty (If you scroll back through my instagram, I believe there may be One) and maybe a handful of facebook status updates, of which I cannot find so maybe not. But do I think that everyone needs or wants to know the status of my kid's bladder and bowels for a week straight?

Nope.

I have found the less I talk about it, the better it goes. Word to the wise.

Two weeks ago, Avery decided she did not want to wear diapers. She kicked and screamed when we tried to put a new one on. So after my sister called me that first Monday morning, saying she could not get Avery to stop fighting her, I told her just to put her undies on. And that was that.

I went home and collected all the diapers around the house and told both the husband and my sister that this was it. No turning back.

When you won't go in a diaper, you are not left with very many options.

Yup, there were accidents. But they got cleaned up and we moved on. There has not been any shit in the tub so I am taking that as she was just ready now. We did it on HER terms and that is how it had to go to be successful.

We do not do diapers at night, it was undies or bust in the Gibson house. She peed the bed for the first 3-4 nights but has been dry since. Although, the past 4 mornings we woke to a Brownie surprise in her undies. That is fun. No need for coffee those mornings. Hope you were not thinking of eating a brownie today. Sorry.


The funny thing is, she won't go if we ask her. She won't go if we tell her. But if we set the timer on our phones and play the Marimba, she will get up from whatever she is doing and go to the bathroom. Strange. But hey, whatever works kid. 2 years old and already a slave to technology.


We have conquered the public bathroom (she does not like loud noises so the flushing really freaked her out and having her hands cover her ears made for an already difficult toilet balancing act even worse). And I have had to let a lot of my OCDs go because I am certain there is just no possible way to bring a toddler into a restroom and expect them not to touch/lick/roll in/sit in something gross.

While potty training is no joke, I still don't understand why some parents choose to broadcast every whiz, every dump, every NOT dump, every accident. Hopefully your kid will not embarrass easily when one of his friends finds all the social media posts about his or her potty training past. And in case you forgot, potty training is just one of those parenting tasks. I just had to suck it up and do it.

*And Avery, if/when you find this post, I hope it is not too embarrassing for you. I am quite sure I will be embarrassing you far greater than this in life then an analogy to brownies. You better thank your Aunt for bearing the brunt of your potty training days, even though I doubt she will ever let you forget it.*

I have no advice to offer or words of wisdom to bestow. Just a quick update other than me losing weight.

So cheers to you potty pee-ers and poopers and your mamas and daddies that wipe your bum!

xoxo

2 comments:

Katie @ Loves of Life said...

I love this. I cannot handle all the potty posts. I'm sorry, I just can't. I'm more about the, "share when they're basically done"-thing. Actually, I'm not even sure I ever told facebook about potty training, to be honest. Instagram definitely got an undies pic, because, it is cute. Butttttt, yea. I hear ya. I had a girl on my fb feed who literally posted about her daughters bowel movements everyday I wanted to cry. I was mortified FOR the poor daughter. ha.

kerwin said...

I am insane with jealousy. I desperately want Annie to be potty trained by the time the baby gets here but she's not into it at all. I guess you can make them sit in there for days on end (which is what my SIL did and posted pics of the kid asleep on the potty on FB) but my desire for something seems to increase Annie's resistance, so that would be a disaster. So we wait.

And I use the timer all.the.time. 3 more minutes of TV. Lights go out and in bed in 5. We joke that the iPad/phone is the 3rd parent. Whatever works.

Go Avery!!!!!!