Friday, May 10, 2013

Fading Friendships





We all know that growing up is not always easy. When you are a toddler, a tween, a teenager, a young adult, an adult . . . One of the parts of being an adult that I did not foresee is losing friends.


I am not talking about losing a friend because of a petty fight (like when you are a teenager) but more like watching a friendship fade away, like watching a ship fade off into the distant horizon.

It has been on my mind for sometime now, and as much as I have thought about it, I cannot come up with any solution to change what is happening. There are only so many times you can call a person, so many times you can reach out, try to make plans, stay in their lives and include them in your's until enough is enough. Always making the effort to keep a friendship going gets old. And it makes me feel like a loser.

Letting go of a friendship is hard. But holding on is harder.




1 comment:

kerwin said...

I have been through this and am kind of creeping towards this again with another friend. The major one was with one of my best friends from college. It just started to get more and more apparent that we had such different "grown up" personalities that extended so far beyond me being married and her being single. I get sad sometimes when I think about it, but then I think of all the drama I am missing and I get over the sadness quickly. I guess it's all part of growing up. Sucky.